The Maine Coastal Islands Visitor Center and Headquarters in Rockland is currently closed in the interest of public health & safety. Check the status of the refuge trails and visitor center here: CLICK FOR UPDATES
Because most seabirds only come to land to nest, the nesting season, May-July, is the best time to see seabirds in Maine. Landing is not permitted on most islands. The one exception is Machias Seal Island, off Cutler.
There are many reputable tour boat operators on the Maine Coast, both large and small, that visit seabird nesting islands. Some have naturalists on board, some try to find whales and seals, some make it a point to pass by lighthouses. All are dependent on the variable weather of the Maine Coast! We encourage you to visit their websites and speak with the captains to find the right boat tour for you.
- Acadian Boat Tours, Bar Harbor
- Acadia Puffin Cruise, Winter Harbor
- Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co., Bar Harbor
- Bold Coast Charter Co., Cutler
- Robertson Sea Tours & Adventures, Milbridge
- Breakwater Kayak, Rockland
- Cap’n Fish’s Whale Watch Cruises, Boothbay
- Hardy Boat Cruises, New Harbor
- Maine Kayak, New Harbor
- Maine Windjammer Association, Rockland
- Matinicus Excursions, Rockland